BISSO MARINE : Our History
Located on the bank of the Mississippi River since 1853, the Bisso family has long been a part of the American maritime and offshore oilfield history. Joseph Bisso began as a blacksmith in the maritime industry in the 1870’s by constructing handmade wooden rowboats which he used to ferry passengers and commodities across the Mississippi River in New Orleans. The human powered rowboats gave way to steam power by 1890 as the BISSO MARINE story continued. By the 1940s, BISSO MARINE’s third generation was fully engaged in support of the emerging offshore oil and gas industries in the Gulf of Mexico. By 2005, the company’s fifth generation would relocate the headquarters to Houston, Texas, and expand the BISSO MARINE footprint abroad. Now well into its second century of continuous service, BISSO MARINE has grown substantially from its roots to become a major offshore energy infrastructure contractor. Supported by a team of highly experienced professionals, BISSO MARINE continues to adjust to the changing market conditions to support the industries that we serve as we chart the course for the next generation of Bisso family leadership.